Location: Philadelphia, PA
The mission of PolicyLab at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is to achieve optimal child health and well-being by informing program and policy changes through interdisciplinary research. PolicyLab, founded in 2008, is one of nine Centers of Emphasis within the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute, one of the largest pediatric research programs in the country. They research, develop and implement evidence-based solutions that are responsive to community needs and relevant to child health policy priorities. And since research articles on their own are unlikely to produce change, they have a dedicated team of communications and policy professionals who work with their researchers to translate their work for a broad array of program and policy audiences. This approach requires PolicyLab to work actively and routinely with practitioners, policymakers and other community stakeholders so that its work reflects and can be positioned to influence the real-world issues that will most improve health outcomes for children.
PolicyLab at CHOP is seeking a Health Policy Director to work closely with the Director of PolicyLab to provide leadership in identifying, executing, and growing the policy agenda for PolicyLab. The center is the research home to 35 academic medicine faculty investigators and more than 60 multidisciplinary research, policy, and communications staff. As such, the Health Policy Director will work in tandem with the Scientific Director and Senior Communications & Operations Manager on policy priorities that support the advancement and dissemination of investigator-led research. Successful candidates will have strong experience engaging with researchers and policymakers, alike.
The Health Policy Director will be a creative and entrepreneurial thinker, a strong writer and producer of analytic products, and a natural collaborator. Candidates should have a passion for training and building policy support across team members. This individual serves on the PolicyLab Leadership Team and oversees all policy activities for the center. The Health Policy Director reports to the Director of PolicyLab and works in consultation with PolicyLab’s Senior Policy Advisor, who is the Director of Government Affairs for CHOP. The Health Policy Director will also manage a growing team of Strategists with policy and project responsibilities related to PolicyLab’s thematic research portfolios and collaborate with the CHOP Government Affairs team when appropriate.
- Serve as the lead in identifying center-wide policy goals and objectives and ensuring their implementation, collaborating closely with the Scientific Director and Senior Communications & Operations Manager.
- Support PolicyLab investigators and research staff in their pursuit of conducting policy-relevant research and developing translational products.
- Serve as the lead in identifying and targeting opportunities for PolicyLab policy briefs, Evidence to Action briefs and other policy tools, and serve as the key reviewer providing quality control for reports, publications, and other policy tools.
- Work closely with the PolicyLab communications team on strategy and dissemination of PolicyLab research and policy materials.
- Identify and maintain relationships with key local, state and national partners related to PolicyLab policy goals; network and strategize with partners to ensure that PolicyLab research is positioned to influence policy decisions when appropriate.
- Work closely with the Senior Communications & Operations Manager to identify and schedule external policy-relevant speakers for Morning Speaker Series.
- Develop collaborative relationships with stakeholders—including within CHOP and the University of Pennsylvania—to create capacity for policy-related research.
- Manage a staff of Strategists across the Center’s portfolios, to steward the implementation of policy- and content-related activities relative to research conducted by members of the portfolios.
Minimum 7-10 years of health policy experience in government, a nonprofit organization or academic setting preferred
- 2-4 years of experience managing staff required
- Advanced degree in Public Administration, Law (JD), Health Policy Research, Health Services Administration or Public Health preferred
Preferred Candidates will also possess:
- Full understanding of Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program and other related policies and programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of specific federal, state and local agency funding processes, guidelines and regulations.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal, to ensure message is received and understood by internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated success in developing effective relationships with multiple individuals, operating autonomously with minimal supervision and direction.
- Demonstrated experience supporting research projects with grant development, technical writing or policy consultation.
- Ability to determine priorities, handle multiple projects simultaneously and perform under deadline pressures. Necessary to be very organized and detail oriented.
- Must be able to make logical judgments utilizing independent decision-making skills appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to function collaboratively as part of a team, as well as highly self-motivated. Sense of humor a must.
Competitive salary and benefits package
At PolicyLab, recruiting and retaining a diverse group of team members who bring fresh insights from all backgrounds to the research, administrative, communications, and policy work that we do is fundamental to our mission. We are committed to creating an environment that is reflective of the diverse communities we serve. As such, we welcome innovative minds from individuals across, race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and marital status, victim of domestic or sexual violence status, covered veteran status or other protected classifications