Location: Conshohocken, PA
The John Templeton Foundation (the Foundation) serves as a philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to the deepest and most perplexing questions facing humankind. They support research on subjects ranging from complexity, evolution, and emergence to creativity, forgiveness, and free will. The Foundation encourages civil, informed dialogue among scientists, philosophers, and theologians, as well as between such experts and the public at large. In all cases, their goal is the same: to spur curiosity and accelerate discovery.
In order to catalyze such discoveries, they provide grants for independent research that advances the mission of the Foundation. Their grants for public engagement help people worldwide engage the fruits of that research and explore the Big Questions.
Based in West Conshohocken, the Foundation is ranked in the top 25 U.S. grantmaking foundations by asset size with over $2.8 Billion in assets and has approximately 65 employees.
The Foundation recognizes the importance of Human Resources as an organizational partner and is seeking a Director of Human Resources.
The Director of Human Resources will report to and work collaboratively with the Chief Financial & Operating Officer (CFOO) and be a contributor to culture and a strategic driver of employee experience in this mission driven environment. This individual will have responsibility for understanding the strategic priorities and intent of the Foundation and providing high level, proactive and responsive HR support around talent acquisition, development/retention, learning and will leverage data, run market driven benchmark discovery and launch impactful programs. This individual will continually explore ways to provide synergy and open communication overall.
- Ensure HR initiatives and systems are in alignment and fully supportive of the Foundation’s values and goals
- Further develop and execute strategy for identifying top and unique talent
- Collaborate on organizational development and change management efforts
- Actively communicate and collaborate with employees to understand ideas, suggestions, and vision for what they are trying to create within their respective areas and overall for the Foundation
- Assess the latest research on HR topics (such as effective performance evaluations, staff engagement, optimal work environment, etc.)
- Ensure compliance with state, federal, and international statutes and legislation
Stay apprised of industry trends and identify opportunities for enhancement to existing policies, practices and program
- Provide leadership, direction, and coaching to Foundation staff on personnel matters
- Manage the HR team and coordinate goal setting to ensure objectives are met
- Identify opportunities to leverage outside consultants and brokers. Evaluate and maintain relationships with brokers and vendors
- Lead team and employee communication and education regarding benefits
- Analyze, design, implement, and report on all benefit plans, programs and policies
- Oversee office management and reception, ensuring that the office is running smoothly and efficiently
- Oversee facilities and ongoing office space utilization and participate on the team responsible for the office space renovation in 2020
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in human resource management, business administration or other related field preferred
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in human resources
- Thorough understanding of federal, state and local employment law and issues and experience working with employment law counsel
- SPHR accreditation preferred
- Minimum of five years of management experience growing and developing a team of high performing staff
- Analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills
- Experience evaluating and implementing new tools and familiarity with HRIS to support the organization and optimize the employee experience, comfort and aptitude with technology
- Advanced communication skills to navigate internal stakeholder management, cross-functional team interactions, inter-team dynamics and external vendor management
- Ability to work effectively with Foundation leadership to manage personnel and foster a healthy culture and institute change
- Strong interest in the Foundation’s mission and the Foundation’s Science and Big Questions areas
- Results-oriented/curiosity driven/proactive leadership skills – ability to lead by example and drive remarkable outcomes
- Proactive data driven problem solver with excellent analytical and reasoning skills
- Must have a sense of “ownership” of his/her areas of responsibility, be responsive, follow-through, and move quickly and competently using good judgment
- Strong organizational and project-management skills with the ability to multi-task and to take projects through to conclusion under deadline
- Consultative in his/her approach looking to leverage cross-functional partnerships to improve programs and services delivery
- Driven leader, influencer, and connector
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and good sense of humor
- Trustworthy with the ability to handle highly sensitive confidential information
- Ability to work collaboratively with interesting and diverse professional backgrounds
Compensation and Benefits
Highly competitive compensation package