Location: Philadelpha, PA
The Russell Byers Charter School is a 4K to 8 public school located in the heart of Philadelphia, with 725 students from all over the city. Founded over 20 years ago in memory of Russell Byers, the school reflects Mr. Byers’ values of academic excellence, civic responsibility, and community service. RBCS is a learning community, built on the structures and principles of EL Education (formerly known as Expeditionary Learning). The students learn by doing. Academic goals are linked to adventure, service work, teamwork, and character development. Education is a partnership between student and teacher, as supported by enlightened school leadership and committed parents. With external partners, RBCS will soon again take full advantage of Philadelphia’s urban resources, using the city as an extension of the classroom. Through these rich partnerships, RBCS offers exciting programs that support the students’ learning experience both in the classroom and in the community.
Russell Byers Charter School’s mission is to provide students roots and wings. The roots form in a safe and stimulating environment with a rigorous academic education that cultivates self – assurance, love of fresh ideas, and especially, a sense of joy. Following the principles of EL Education, students take responsibility for their learning to become powerful communicators, creative problem solvers, compassionate, engaged citizens. Students learn to reflect on their actions, to be resilient, and always to respect others. From these roots, Russell Byers students develop wings to succeed in selective schools and embrace a love for learning.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
The CEO’s role is to advance the vision and mission of the school. The CEO must foster an inclusive school culture that demonstrates integrity, diversity, risk-taking, accountability and a relentless pursuit of academic achievement.
The CEO will report to the Board of Trustees. The CEO supervises a leadership team comprised of two Principals (4K-3 and 4-8), Director of Admissions and School Services, Director of Data & Technology, Director of Operations, Director of Special Education, Director of Climate & Culture, Coordinator of College & Career Programs, and Coordinator of Carpe Diem and 21st Century Learning.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Guide the ongoing development and realization of the school’s vision and the implementation of its core educational values.
- Develop a new strategic plan together with the Board and create annual school goals to execute the plan.
- Create dashboards for key metrics.
- Ensure a safe community and sustain a culture that engages students, faculty, staff, and parents as partners in a cohesive community.
- Embrace resounding feedback from the entire school community to focus on racial equity and embracing the whole child.
- Demonstrate commitment to EL Education’s principles, championing their approach and their expectations for differentiated and rigorous academics.
- Lead and mentor the leadership team, provide professional development opportunities and feedback and evaluate their performance against clearly articulated goals and objectives.
- Lead communications, continually advocate, build, and maintain relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Strategically oversee all financial functions.
- Oversee all human capital and human resources functions.
- Oversee facilities and operations (property, building systems, vendor relations, security)
- Build relationships with RBCS partners and community (local media, charter partners, funders and external affiliates providing services to our students).
- Maintain a positive relationship with the School District of Philadelphia and the Charter School Office.
- Comply and manage all regulatory, compliance and legal matters, as well as risk mitigation efforts.
- Set fundraising goals and support development activities in collaboration with the Byers School Foundation staff and the School Board’s Finance Committee.
- A passion to positively influence and change the lives of young children.
- An engaged, collaborative, and accessible approach.
- Model an exemplary work ethic with the ability to delegate appropriately.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to oversee daily operations, holding self and others accountable to desired outcomes.
- Experience with and understanding of the needs, challenges, and opportunities of an urban school population.
- Demonstrate empathy and respect for the perspectives of students, staff, families, and stakeholders.
- A genuine desire to connect with teachers, students, families, and the broader community.
- Entrepreneurial, motivated, problem solver who initiates and develops effective partnerships.
- Capacity to manage a diverse workforce in a complex organization.
- Ability to clearly articulate the school’s vision, mission, and strategy to all stakeholders, including current and potential donors.
- Principal or Superintendent certification preferred.
- Education administration or teaching experience preferred.
- Experience working in an urban school or charter school preferred.
- Experience working with EL Education or similar experiential learning framework preferred.
- Strong leader with ability to leverage human and financial resources.
- Exceptional communication skills across diverse audiences.
- Experience reporting to a board and guiding a board in a direct and collaborative style.
- Knowledge of policies and laws affecting special populations.
Russell Byers Charter School is committed to equal treatment for all individuals, RBCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethical origin.